No matter what is the occasion, people love to eat pastry. In fact, in some country, the pastry is treated as a primary dish. Besides, it can be used for different kind of dishes. This is savory and sweet and quite easy to make. To make this, all you need is some good quality flour, fat, water, and salt. However, after making this for few times, you will be baking pastry like a pro. So, let’s have a look into the simple recipe of making delicious shortcrust pastry.
Essential Ingredients For The Pastry
The basis quantity of the elements never changes for shortcrust pastry. In detail, one-part fat to two parts flour. So, it is quite easy to multiply quantities. However, it depends on the pastries you need. Traditionally, people used to combine the flour and fat using hands so that fat doesn’t melt. But now it is much easier to use a food mixer. However, the necessary ingredients are:
- 300 grams plain or you can use all-purpose flour
- 100 grams cold butter, any hard fat or a combination of these
- A little bit of salt and pepper for more flavor
- Cold water
Method Of Makings Shortcrust Pastry
- Shift that flour to a bowl and add some salt. Then add pepper if you are using. Now cut the fat into pieces and add to the flour. Mix properly using a food mixer until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. However, if it is too hot and the fast is little soft, then it may form little hard consistency, but it will work.
- Continue to mix properly and start to add water in it. However, make sure to add one tablespoon at a time. When the dough comes together, stop adding water. Remember that the more water you mix, the tougher the shortcrust pastry becomes, so, use the necessary amount of water to make the mixture soft. To test whether it is perfect or not, put a piece of the dough between your fingertips. If the dough breaks, then add water. But if the dough stretches, then move to the next step.
- Now, refrigerate the mix for at least half an hour. The reason behind this is it reduces shrinkage when cooking.
- Now grease a small pie dish and use flour to for dusting. Then roll out some portion of the pastry. However, two-thirds will be enough. Now line the dish with it. Leave some margin overhanging. You can trim that after cooking it. Prick all over the dish using a fork.
- Now line the pastry using a crumpled kitchen foil and bake it for about 20 to 30 minutes in medium temperature. After that, remove the foil and bake it for another 10 to 15 minutes. Now add your pre-cooked filling and brush the edges with milk or egg.
- Roll out the remaining pastry, pressing down perfectly at the joints. Prick a few holes, then brush all over. Now bake for 30 minutes. Carefully trim the edges and serve. Your guest will definitely enjoy the mouthwatering shortcrust pastry.